Sunday, April 16, 2006

An Unwanted Journey: Day 0143 - Surviving



I can't believe how difficult this week has been! The loss of blood has been the single biggest setback I've encountered. I understand gastric ulcers are not uncommon when one has compromised the immune system through radiation and chemotherapy and then traumatized it with surgery. But I felt so good after surgery that the complication really threw me completely out of kilter.

When I first arrived home after surgery, I was walking around the block. Right now, I can barely walk to the washroom. That, too, is something that is difficult to handle. Urinating is almost more difficult than bowel movements, mainly because of the bearing down that I have to do to accomplish the task. Everything right now zaps my energy and leaves me feeling on the verge of passing out. I am definitely not used to this!

But things will get better. My haemoglobin levels fell dramatically as I was vomiting blood, but they remained steady enough for my surgeon to give me approval to be released again last Wednesday. Because I am not getting my blood work done daily anymore, I can't tell how well they are rebounding except for the colour in my face and my daily energy levels. It feels like things are improving, but I still don't want to eat or move about much.

When I arrived home, I discovered that the power adapter on my notebook computer had died. It will be another couple days before a replacement arrives. Not that it matters much. Since my readmittance to hospital and second discharge, the last thing I want to do is look at the computer. It just takes far too much energy.

Thanks to all the continuing well wishers. I will become more coherent and capable as I recover, but it will take more time than I ever would have anticipated with this ulcer complication.

My wife and children have been attending to my needs. A very good friend has made regular (and short) visits to my bedside and then to my home to offer words of encouragement. Thanks, John.

I am obviously losing weight, so don't be too surprised if you eventually see someone a little less than you would otherwise recognize. This might be a good thing!

Anyway, doing this has tired me out completely. I'll write again when I can.

1 comment:

Suzanne A. said...

Thank you for being such a gracious host to us as unannounced visitors. I know many people are mentioning you in their prayers and this must help keep your spirits up. It is definitely an unwanted journey and one that too many people seem to have to travel.
Suzanne