Thursday, April 06, 2006

An Unwanted Journey: Day 0133 - Home



It's the sweetest thing I know of, just spending time with you.
It's the little things that make a house a home.
Like a fire softly burning and supper on the stove.
And the light in your eyes that makes me warm.
John Denver, Back Home Again
Yeah, a tad heavy on the syrupy sentimentality. But I sure do appreciate being home again after being discharged from Grand River Hospital yesterday morning. I walked to the car unaided and was able to climb into the seat without help, but I did avail myself of a pillow to protect my incision area from the seat belt. Every little pot hole reminded me that although I was on my way home, it would be a long time before my abdomen feels normal.

Before leaving the surgical ward yesterday, my student nurse, who was with me through the surgery itself and for two days after, wondered if she could remove the staples. It was her first time, and I was apprehensive, but she did a good job removing all 35 metal staples and putting on the temporary clear tape to protect the incision.

When we arrived home, we bundled up and went for a very slow walk to one corner and then another of our street, me dipping my toes into the pavement of the side streets and commenting, "One small step for man, one giant leap for a recovering patient." That was enough exertion, but it felt good to be outside breathing the crisp April air.

Most of the rest of the day was devoted to experimentation. It's amazing how much we take for granted in our daily lives about getting into and out of chairs, lying down in bed, going to the bathroom, climbing and descending the stairs, putting on shoes and socks...all the minutiae which is the background music of our lives. When you cannot take all those things for granted, then you have to experiment and find ways to help yourself or acknowledge help offered from others.

I am healing well. In fact, there is no need for me to have any home care. I can start showering, albeit carefully, eating high fibre foods and doing whatever will assist with the healing process. Just being here at home makes that process so much more attractive.

Powered By Qumana

No comments: