Sunday, April 09, 2006

An Unwanted Journey: Day 0136 - Setback


After yet another long day in the local bakery, I returned home to find out about an unwanted setback in Don’s Unwanted Journey. He had had a very difficult day, since he had not been able to keep any food down. My mom informed me that after a very long day of sickness, she was taking him back to the emergency room for what would become yet another stay at the hospital.

When my parents did not return before midnight, I drifted off to sleep. I was awakened bright and early by a call from my boss, and after debating the merits of going in early; I left my room to look for Don. Bedroom? No. Family room? No. Bathroom? No. My Mom informed me that Don had been re-admitted into the hospital. The on-call doctor told Don that he might have a stress ulcer from the rigors of surgery.

The surgical oncologist will be seeing him tomorrow for a more specific diagnosis. He may be in the hospital for a few days, but it should not be too long. We hope to have him home soon, with a new bottle of pills to handle this hurdle in his Unwanted Journey.

Ian

No comments: