Monday, September 08, 2008

An Unwanted Journey: Day 1020 - Readiness

Calls came in yesterday from uncles and aunts, brothers-in-law and sisters-in-law, friends and neighbours. Today, a former Toastmaster buddy called and is dropping off some reading material for me for hospital and recovery. This morning, as I finished off a few obligations and related tasks at work, I shared Anna Tolazzi hand-crafted chocolates with my colleagues and received their best wishes for a speedy recovery. My sons went off to Wilfrid Laurier University for the commencement of 3rd- and 1st-year classes respectively after they helped my wife and me break the bank on a very fine meal last night at Marbles. In other words, life is good and I'm ready for the next step in this unwanted journey.

There are a few minor tasks yet to be performed before putting on the dreaded hospital gowns, but for the most part, I think I can fill my head up with epic fantasy (I've finished re-reading George R. R. Martin's first two instalments in the A Song of Ice and Fire series - A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings and am well underway on A Storm of Swords). Not only is this pure escapist fare, my hope is that it will provide distraction and components for the pain-killer delusions and dream-time life I'll have while recovering from surgery. Swords, dragons, dire-wolves, giants, sailing vessels, gold, intrigue, sex and sorcery - it's all there and should fit nicely in the surreal world of intensive care and the surgical ward.

Again, I am struck by the essential goodness of most people. I always seem so close to tears these days, not just because of anxiety and uncertainty, but because people have been so supportive and thoughtful. The words expressed don't matter so much as the generosity of spirit and the expansive attitudes. As I've said before, "Life sucks, people are great!"

So, I think I'll keep to the basics over the next day and a half - mow the lawn, get my eye glasses tightened, get a haircut, sign a revised will and powers of attorney, enjoy some Starbucks coffee with my wife, drive my youngest son to his evening class at the university and read about Tyrion, Jaime, Arya, Jon, Daenerys and the world of Westeros (see a good map here).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The very best of luck, recovery, and comfort to you.

Anonymous said...

As you head into the tougher, upward haul of this stage of your journey, we hope there will lots of good and encouraging moments, new and promising perspectives, more laughter than tears and an over-riding sense of peace.

Blessings to you across the many miles,

The Mixes