Wednesday, March 08, 2006

An Unwanted Journey: Day 0104 - NHL



Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

No, this has nothing to do with me personally, except to the extent that everywhere I look these days, there's cancer. It's not a simple matter of being more aware (although I'm sure that's partially true). It's a matter of there really being more people in my life for whom cancer is rearing its ugly head.

My aunt's sister just died of lung cancer. Today, I sat in a room with 4 other people with various forms of cancer, all unlike the one I am battling. And then I just got off the phone with a friend whose mother-in-law has just been diagnosed with NHL, B-cell type. As we spoke, I scanned Internet sites, just as he had done last night. We both realized almost immediately that even though there has been progress in finally coming up with a diagnosis (and, believe me, it has taken quite a lot of tests and a lot of time to get to a diagnosis), the situation is incredibly complicated.

My experiences with cancer and cancer treatment are almost useless to my friends, since the differences are greater than the similarities. What we do know is the NHL is a cancer of the very system that is meant to protect the body against disease. It can be slow growing or aggressive and treatments vary dramatically.

Oddly enough, before I even knew of the NHL diagnosis today, when we were in our circle at HopeSpring and were visualizing healing light entering our bodies in a chain of healing, we were invited to imagine that healing light going out to someone in need. The very first people to come to my mind were these specific friends and their mother.

Some days, you just want to scream. Some days, you just wish there was something useful to say or do...and there is, but sometimes it seems so meagre.

Technorati Tags : , , ,

Powered By Qumana

No comments: