Sunday, December 30, 2007

Spurtin' Burton

It's his masterpiece - Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd - Demon Barber of Fleet Street starring Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter. But bloooooody!

I can't recall viewing another musical horror flick with the same impact, although Little Shop of Horrors was very funny. There is less humour here, although still plenty of clever, comical lyrics. The music in Sweeney Todd is so tightly integrated with the visual effects and so incredibly well done that, in my view, it surpasses anything that might normally be referenced in comparison. Phantom of the Opera and Rocky Horror Picture Show might also be compared, but there really isn't much point to such comparisons. This stands alone.


Personally, I think it's stunning and deserves Academy Award nominations, especially for screenplay, sound editing, and perhaps even for Bonham Carter and Depp, certainly for cinematography and the musical score.


I can't say it's a must-see movie. It's definitely not for the whole family. And, to state the obvious, you'll never want to see a straight razor again, anywhere, anytime. I even have a few quibbles with the plot line (without spoiling anything). But if you're up to the blood flow and can accept someone singing their way to a vengeful, murderous rampage, then this is just the ticket.


And now, if I weren't vegetarian, I'd want to get myself a newly baked meat pie....yum!

No comments: