Sunday, June 04, 2006

An Unwanted Journey: Day 0193 - Occupational Therapy


The CCAC nurse arranged for me to meet with an occupational therapist this week. The OT, in turn, reviewed my situation and made some suggestions for devices to ease my life. By Friday, I had those devices and was experimenting with them. There was a gell pack to put on top of a toilet seat which works extremely well. There was a toilet seat insert which adds height and comfort. It too works well. Finally, there as a wheelchair cushion which contours itself to your bottom. This hasn't been as useful, but I'll still experiment with it.

The OT was also useful in suggesting a variety of devices to assist in sleeping and in bathing. I'll wait until I have the PICC line in place before investigating those devices any further.

My wife and I were both amazed at how many resources are available when you have appropriate connections like the CCAC nurse.

I'm making slow progress on other fronts too. Yesterday I was able to walk around the block by myself and without my walking cane and was able to do so in 6 minutes faster time than in earlier walks. I'm also sleeping in a regular bed at night even though I still find myself waking every hour or so to visit the washroom. Unfortunately, in using the bed these days, I am getting tired during the NBA playoff games earlier and missing at least the second half. But I find I can usually predict the outcome from watching the first half, not always, but most of the time.

I'm driving the car more frequently these days too.

Clearly, though, I'm not doing a lot of in-depth reflection and research about cancer these days. My energies have been devoted to coping. That may come, but for now I'm content to merely feeling less discomfort and having slightly more energy for daily activities.

Powered By Qumana

No comments: