Wednesday, September 19, 2007

An Unwanted Journey: Day 0663 - Discharged! (again)

It's good news, even if I have heard it before. Today, my medical oncologist said that my recent CT scan and CEA blood test results were both normal. Last time after the official discharge, I got a call within a couple weeks indicating some concerns about ambiguous test results. Then I had another series of tests and follow ups at the regional cancer centre leading, after nine more months, to today's appointment.

I shook hands with my oncologist, received the discharge letter outlining how the follow up visits are scheduled with my family physician, paid for my parking, made a couple celebratory phone calls and sent off a few email messages, and now I'm ready to celebrate at a good vegetarian restaurant with my wife and son.


True, it's a little anticlimactic, but that's how it works anyway. This time, I feel slightly more secure since my overall health has improved significantly in the interim and each additional test has shown no evidence of disease.


As I wrote to some family members and friends, "today I am officially a survivor!"

No comments: