Wednesday, January 17, 2007

An Unwanted Journey: Day 0420 - The Good Stuff

My wife. She is a constant, totally trust worthy, a sight for sore eyes, my protector and confidante, and the one person with whom I can bare my soul. During this past year, she has proven herself strong and courageous. Without her, my life would have narrowed considerably. Instead, I feel as though the borders have expanded.

My sons. They are teenagers, but two of the nicest persons I've ever met. They are smart, brave, funny, and keep talking to me, even when it's evident that I haven't the foggiest clue about their favourite musical styles and games. They deign to keep me in the loop and don't complain too much when I talk a little about myself. I am a very proud father.

My friends. They have called, written, commented, and made themselves available whenever I needed them. There are few things worth more than a lifelong relationship with a friend. Thank you.

My work. There are days when the last thing I want to do is go into work; but those are few and far between. Most of the time, my work is such that I come home feeling like I've made a difference and enjoyed doing so. Most of the time, the work is stimulating, challenging, fulfilling, and worthy of extending into some of my private time.

My family. My extended family is a mixed bag, just like everyone else's. You take the good, the bad, and the ugly and make the most of it, simply because that is the nature of family and kinship. Again, most of the time, I wouldn't have it any other way. But there are some who have demonstrated compassion and thoughtfulness far beyond my expectations. That web of connectedness makes even an unwanted journey one of meaning and purpose.

My medical team. You don't think about things like doctors and nurses and medical resources much until the time you need them. Then, they are indispensable. I am so grateful for their knowledge, compassion, and the resources they consume for my benefit.

My blog. Yes, maybe it's a little parochial, but having an outlet to share with all of the people who care about me, having the chance to achieve catharsis through writing, and having the opportunity to combine both without additional expenditures - it's been a true blessing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don,
Do you mind if I link into your blog from mine?

Vijay

Don Spencer said...

Not at all, Vijay! I'm pleased to have made your acquaintance.

Don

Anonymous said...

Thanks Don.. has been done..