Wednesday, September 20, 2006

An Unwanted Journey: Day 0302 - Treatment Postponed


"Justice delayed is justice denied."

I think that's how the saying goes. In which case, "treatment delayed is treatment denied." Today, unfortunately, that's exactly what happened. After I told the chemo suite nurse about last night's fever and fatigue, she consulted with the oncologist who decided that we should delay treatment. My absolute neutrophil counts are low anyway, so couple that with the fever and general deepening levels of fatigue I experienced, and I guess it makes sense to make adjustments.

But, now my schedule and planning has to be redone. Unfortunately, my worst days after treatment will occur during weekdays when I would otherwise be at work.

I suppose the appropriate response is simply to acquiesce and realize that there is almost nothing to be done accept quietly accept the reality of low blood counts, fever and fatigue, and then let the oncologist call the shots, acknowledging that the next three weeks I'll probably not work as many hours as I have been recently.

The cancer centre nurse will call me later today with the results of today's blood work. Then, on Friday, we'll do some more blood work testing, and hope for the best.

Update

Results were quite disappointing.

Last night's fever resulted in a 1 point drop in white blood counts and the lowest neutrophil count all year. But other counts were higher. So instead, my oncologist has prescribed antibiotics. I will also have to stay home for the rest of the week, telecommuting to work as much as possible.

You know what's totally unexpected, though?

Today, I felt better than I have in 2 weeks.

No comments: