Sunday, August 13, 2006

An Unwanted Journey: Day 0264 - Silly Socks



"Treasure your friends; cherish each day; be useful."
I just finished my weekend marathon of watching the extended edition of The Lord of the Rings. It's a truism to say that the movie (and the book, of course) reinforces the importance of friendship, of the beauty of ordinary life (the Shire), and of being personally productive.
Yet this week's experiences have reinforced for me, quite apart from movie themes, just how significant to our health is that trinity.

My productivity at work was threatened this week as I experienced a variety of unexpected side effects and trouble with my chemotherapy. Dwelling on those issues and problems instead of participating in the exercises of the gratitude project threatened my mental health. But my friends...well, they reminded me why they are a treasure beyond measure.

These friends want to do something to help - some want to visit, some want to drive me to the hospital, some want to simply telephone and tell me they care about my well being, and some don't know what to do.

Here's an idea. Buy me a pair of silly socks. Each time I wear them, I swear that I will be happier, remember the sanctity of each day, and be as productive as I can possibly be. And, isn't it obvious, I'll be thinking of you all day long.

Note: As I prepared in the spring for surgery, one of my books on cancer recommended buying and wearing silly socks and brazen briefs for the enjoyment of the nurses. So we bought a few and I've been wearing them ever since (especially the briefs). They remind me not to take myself too seriously.
Powered By Qumana

No comments: