Tuesday, August 01, 2006

An Unwanted Journey: Day 0252 - Comparisons


Even though last week was what I called "a banner week", Saturday, Sunday, and Monday were not. Those are the days, every two weeks, when I can count on side-effects from chemotherapy laying me low. Yesterday (Monday) was a bit of a surprise, though. I felt like I'd been in a train wreck. Bowel movements were frequent and painful, with little time in between to catch my breath and rest.

This morning is better, but we're in the midst of a scorching heat wave in southwestern Ontario. I'm in an air-conditioned environment, so I have a great deal to be thankful for, but others working outside are not so fortunate. With the air conditioning, I am able to both telecommute to work and go on-site for awhile without jeopardizing my health further.
Others are less fortunate.

I've mentioned Leroy Sievers before. Unfortunately, this morning's blog entry, Bad News and Difficult Decisions, recounts his setback from ineffective chemotherapy drugs. Unlike me, Leroy is worse off now than when he started chemo in January. Doctors recommended an eight-week holiday from chemo, but that holiday only allowed the tumours in his lungs to grow larger than what they were when he originally started therapy. In addition, the cancer has now invaded his spine.

Leroy doesn't know what to do, and he's absolutely right in observing that probably no one else knows what to recommend. I know the feeling of receiving bad news. I can empathize with him that no matter how prepared you might think you are, you are never ready to hear news like that.

So, by comparison, the world is my oyster today. My bottom hurts, I have four more treatments and their accompanying side effects to endure, I'm feeling weak and tired...but I have not received any bad news for a long time now, not since I was hospitalized for pulmonary embolii.

Leroy, my thoughts and hopes are with you as you make these difficult decisions about whether to continue with chemotherapy and, if so, which drugs to have administered. Peace be with you.
Powered By Qumana

No comments: