Tuesday, July 04, 2006

An Unwanted Journey: Day 0223 - Frequent Fatigue


Fatigue has been the side-effect of note since my second chemotherapy treatment last Wednesday. No serious nausea, just naps, lots and lots of naps. Oh, yeah. And the sensitivity to cold, tingling sensations in the fingertips, constriction of the mouth and throat when exposed to cold food - all that too.

I'm not really complaining - OK, just a bit. It's better than vomiting, to be sure. But last time, after the first chemotherapy treatment, I had one day of slight nausea on the Saturday. This time, it's Tuesday morning, and I've been sleeping since Saturday...on and off, to be sure, but the naps are so frequent as to become a source of some good-natured teasing at home. "Where's Dad?" "Check the recliner...check the bedroom."

I also miss my ice cream. Yesterday, it was hot and humid. For the first time in three days, I actually ventured outdoors to take my wife and youngest son to Dairy Queen. I ordered a Blizzard and then remembered that my sensitivity to cold food might still be affecting me. Sure enough, the first taste elicited that familiar and unpleasant tingling sensation in the mouth and throat. But I was determined to enjoy an ice cream treat. It took about 45 minutes of gingerly tasting and letting the thing melt, but eventually I got through it. Afterwards, I realized that there wasn't much enjoyment to be had, just stubborn determination.

This week, after having been so pleased with putting in more hours for my place of employment, I may find myself backsliding a bit simply because of fatigue levels. FIFA semi-finals will have absolutely nothing to do with it! Nor will Wimbleton, nor the Tour de France! But I'll do what I can. At the very least, I feel as though I'm back in the saddle somewhat, even though my ass hurts.
Powered By Qumana

No comments: