Tuesday, October 04, 2005

San Diego Bound


Windows Connections 2005! I can hardly wait.

It’s only been a little over thirteen months on the job as an Information Technology Manager at the local manufacturing company where I work, but during that time, I’ve come to realize that IT Pros are every bit as isolated in small- and medium-sized businesses as are developers in similar situations. Webcasts, Microsoft TechNet events, and occasional meetings with our network services consultant are the only occasions when I get to have conversations with other IT Pros or even be in the same room with people who share the same interests and, to some extent at least, expertise.

My brother is an IT Manager, so we can commiserate occasionally too. Still, having an opportunity to be with technical gurus at Microsoft, Hewlett Packard, and Intel as well as networking with other IT Pros is just exactly what I need at this stage in my career.

Another local IT consultant and I are in the process of founding a Windows Server User Group to serve the IT Pros in the Guelph, Kitchener, Waterloo and Cambridge area. Windows Connections should allow us to make contact with potential speakers and others who have gone down this road before.

No comments: